Thursday, April 03, 2008

The pressure to perform

I'm frantic right now.

Today I feel enormous pressure to get things done in a timely way.

The shop is proving it will be a VERY busy enterprise in the coming months as we move into winter...and therefore meat pie weather...down here.

I don't know how to fit everything in. Usually this isn't a huge problem for me as I generally cope quite well even if I do get a bit frazzled at times with the intensity of being really really busy. But in this instance, I feel so completely overwhelmed I am struggling to get a grip and G.T.D.

I know what I want and need to do to get a sense of calm again. Thing is, I am constantly being frustrated by the lack of SPACE to get on top of my game.

Yes! I realise this is a blatant whinge - but seriously, there are only so many years a person can stand having to run "the office" from ones lounge room and I've been doing it for nearly 18 years.

I am OVER it!

Currently, I am in the throes of trying to get a complete office set up down at the new premises so that all stuff relating to the business can be on site rather than split across two places as in shop and home like in the past. It's been so frustrating though of late to have everything so unfinished and disorganised. I'm going to have to set aside some time to get my head around what needs to be actually done to resolve this situation as quickly as possible.

And there is the rub. The time! I just crash when I get home and really do not want to have to look at my In-tray. I am tired and cranky and I have no patience for online bill paying and the like. But I seriously have to to get it all out of the way before it gets even busier.

The TV is constantly ON and LOUD because I share this lounge/office/living area with two teenagers. There is a constant stream of people in and out of the house and demands on my time and attention left, right and centre! It's bloody HARD living here without privacy and an office to cloister away in and just get on top of the paperwork in peace and clarity.

Okay. So? I am really cranky and pussed off about my current lot. I'm getting this off my chest. Now, I shall MAKE some space within a day or so to grab some quiet time and make my lists of things I want to get done.

David in his book talks about the across and up of task management as if it were a runway with a plane taking off. The runway represents the daily minutiae of "next actions" that one must do to get various projects moving forward. Then as the plane goes through the various altitudes, these become the types of focus we must have in terms of our "agreements", our projects, plans, goals and values.

I have to do that vertical planning stuff too.

You can only cruise through life for so long before you realise that to get to where you WANT to go, you have to have a flight plan. Mine is long overdue.

So consequently, I feel very overwhelmed with the extent of what I must achieve along with everything I want to achieve.

This is not some To Do List, lenghthy and unwieldy; this is about making sure I know what happens when and where and how. I'm not clear on that stuff currently and I can totally feel the stress behind it all. I feel completely unable to concentrate effectively on the surprises we all inevitably get every day.

Focus and Application to getting that whole processing of the STUFF is what I want to do.

I am so grateful, that the gift of my love for writing my thoughts down, releases some of the pressure or I'd go mad from it I think. There may not be enough hours in my day but I WILL make time for the things - and the people - I love first. Bookkeeping and housework are just grit in the oyster for making pearls.


Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity

No comments: