Wednesday, February 21, 2007

If you don't like it after the first bite... I'll give you your money back!

That's exactly what I tell new customers to our pie and pastry shop. I've been doing that for the past three years or so. It took a fair bit of courage to do it the first time but now I'm used to it and don't hesitate to offer our new clientele a money-back-guarantee on their take-away food purchase.

Basically I guarantee them that if they don't like their first couple of mouthfuls of one of our pies or pasties, then I will return them their money back no question!

Well... I "would" have questions such as what was it they didn't like about the product etc. That's just basic "How can we fix this?" stuff that kind of information.

But I've only had two customers return the uneaten portion and ask for their money back! That was two years ago! There was an issue with our water supply at the time and we solved it swiftly. The problem actually wasn't ours but we wore the cost - small as it proved to be to keep those customers happy.

I had a customer come in today and he asked if we had any Pizza Pies left and I said "Of course!" and as he handed over his money, he looked me in the eye and said "You gave me a guarantee last time that I would totally love this pie - and I did - so now I'm back for another one!"

And that money-back offer still stands! If he hadn't like it this time - I'd have given him his money back!

Most customers I say this to are absolutely blown away by a mere bakery offering them such a gurantee! But it sure makes them smile. You see its a win-win for all of us. The customer is reassured they're not going to be disappointed either way and I'm constantly reassured by the fact they always come back and tell me how much they enjoyed their pie. Its as if offering them the guarantee, guarantees I will get positive feedback everytime! It also tells me that our product is still among the best and yummiest available! :)

It's been good for business that line! Don't knock it! :)

No comments: