Monday, May 08, 2006

Playing with words again.

Thought I'd have a wee bash at writing lyrics! :/ Not sure I've done anything "useful" particularly here - it's just something I've never done and I wanted to practise.

I've been listening to Jeff Buckley's Grace album a lot lately and I am in awe of the writing in these songs.

These lines from "Lover, you should've come over" ("Grace" 1994) make me cry every time I hear them, they are that beautiful!


It's never over, my kingdom for a kiss upon her shoulder
It's never over, all my riches for her smiles when i slept so soft against her
It's never over, all my blood for the sweetness of her laughter
It's never over, she's the tear that hangs inside my soul forever


"She's the tear that hangs inside my soul forever" - Doesn't that make you want to just sigh with the loveliness of it?

I'd love to be able to write lines like that!

Here's my first attempt at a rather tortured love song. It's soooo nowhere near the calibre of what I hear in the Grace album, but it's a baby-sized wobbly, teetering step toward writing beautiful lyrics at the very least - maybe - someday.

Bridging the Distance between us.

I gave you laughter
I gave you tears
I gave you a fruit basket or two over the years
and it was just another way that I thought
would make you stay with me forever
but now you’re walking out the door
on the way to freedoms shore
away from me
I just wanted to be with you
just wanted to keep you close
I thought I was doing something useful
that would ensure our joint repose
I’m just trying to be constructive
in bridging the distance between us
I gave you kisses
I gave you tears
I gave you everything I owned from our years
and all it seemed to do was to add to
the distance between us
I was just trying to be constructive
in bridging the distance between us
but it didn’t do our thing justice
now I’m trying something more constructive
in Bridging the distance between us
I still don’t get it when your anger
gets in the way of my need to keep you close
and I still can’t seem do anything constructive
in bridging the distance between us
there are grey linings on the clouds in my heart
and there’s no fuse to light my soul anymore
and I don’t understand what I did to abuse you
I was just trying to be constructive
in bridging the distance between us

M. P. 2006

I'm not copyrighting this one so if anyone wants to take it and adapt it and set it to music - be my guest!

Personally, I don't reckon it will set any record charts alight but who knows...someone who has the skill of Jeff Buckley might just be able to make something beautiful out of it.

In the meantime... I'll keep trying to get this poetry/lyric thing right so that someone out there might one day cry from the loveliness of them. That'd be nice :)

No comments: