Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Love your scars

My body is spotted with little scars from past accidents.

I have a scar on the little finger of my right hand where my brother slammed the car door on it when I was about 8 or 9 years old.

I have a more recent and very obvious scar on my left forearm where the doctor removed a suspicious looking skin "thing" a couple of years ago.

And I have a scar on my right foot from when I crashed a motorbike into a tree at age 12 (I was dodging a snake at the time *blush*)

Should I worry and fret about these scars? They're not 'beautiful' after all!

No way! I love them! Seriously! I love ALL my scars. They tell "My story"! They are my history and they somewhat help to define the ME that I am now.

Same with emotional, spiritual and intellectual "scars". The wounds that cut deepest and are often hidden from the world. I love these more difficult scars too. Or at least I'm learning to.

These scars are also not 'beautiful' but they are as real as any physical scar. They are evidence of lessons in life, love, hurt and pain. All stuff that helps me to grow, move and change toward more life, love, joy and freedom :) I will NOT give up faith, hope AND love just because of these deep wounds inside me that no one else can see! They define me and make me who I am right now and will go on being the foundation for making the 'Me' that I will be in the years to come.

Some of these hidden scars are now healed over - the evidence of them exists but they are now just like my physical scars - patched over with new tissue - new hope and life - lessons learned. Other wounds are yet to heal completely.

The thing is that these emotional wounds can sometimes take too long to heal until I stop picking away at the "scabs" and just allow some emotional "scar tissue" to grow across them.

Scar tissue is necessary for healing. Scar tissue is the COHERENCE of the self again - the glue that binds it all together and makes it not hurt anymore! It means that the wound is still visible but HEALED and whole again. The history of its making and the way it changes me - makes me who I am now and into the future - is just as it is, a memory, a time-frame, a piece of my past. And a basis for what is to come.

Love your scars. They make you dearly precious and as unique as a snowflake or a fingerprint. NO ONE has ever had or ever will have the scars you do in quite the same way as you. The unique story they tell is YOUR story and no one elses.

Scars are not to be reviled but relished as evidence of a LIFE made whole again.

No comments: